Top 6 reasons cork is the best material for placemats
6 reasons cork is the best material for placemats. Cork has unique properties even though it isn’t as mainstream as other textile placemats. Certainly, cork placemats are worth the investment because of their artsy ability to endure and adapt to both formal and casual occasions with ease.
- First, these are the best cork placemats because they are heat and water-resistant and will stand up to tough messes and spills. To keep your cork clean a quick wipe with a damp cloth is all you need. Reviewers love that these heat-resistant placemats are sturdy and durable.
- Secondly, cork has strength and durability with an organic style. Cork is highly durable and will not stain even when you spill mustard or wine if you clean up the mess quickly.
- Thirdly, when using a cork placemat you will love putting your hot serving dishes directly on the cork mat because they withstand extreme heat.
- Cork placemats are one of the most sustainable materials available today for natural placemats. Rugged cork which is recyclable does not absorb dust and is hypoallergenic.
- Fifthly, cork table mats can be used indoors and outdoors, making them very versatile.
- Lastly, cork placemats are non-slip so you never have to worry about anything sliding off the table. They will brighten up and protect any table they adorn.
Now you can see the 6 reasons cork is the best material for placemats
Cork Placemats are incredibly sustainable. Our Cork Placemat is natural, renewable, and good for the environment.
The cork oak forests aren’t just fantastic carbon sinks, they’re also hotspots of biodiversity, forming crucial habitats for various threatened animal and plant species. Cork oaks are also essential in maintaining the health of the forest ecosystems.
Why are cork placemats special? Zero Waste
Another reason these are the best cork placemats is cork is one of the most renewable, environmentally friendly materials on the planet. The bark from the cork tree sheds naturally and grows back quickly. Most importantly, cork is a completely natural raw material with unique properties which gives your table texture. Cork is completely biodegradable, and its manufacturing process generates almost zero waste!!
If you like this article you will love my blog This is what you need to know to set an organic table easily.
Are cork placemats heat-resistant?
Cork is naturally heat-resistant and moisture-resistant. Rest assured your dining table will be protected for a quick oven-to-table transfer.
Most importantly, when you place a hot pan on cork placemats the cork material will absorb the heat without passing it through to the underlying surface. Rest assured your table will be protected from any heat marks. It is unsurprising that the number one material for trivets and coasters is cork, which is why it is top-rated.
Are cork placemats waterproof?
Cork placemats are water resistant. Cork absorbs water slowly so you have time to wipe up the toughest stains. Even mustard and wine clean right up.
Since cork contains suberin it possesses antimicrobial properties. Suberin is a waxy substance that makes cork resistant to mold and mildew, another health benefit.
Are cork placemats long-lasting?
Thankfully, cork is up to the job as long as you never bend them. Store them flat. This natural material will last for years if you follow these simple rules. Once again, do not immerse the cork in water. Wipe with a damp cloth (not wet). Add some gentle soap to a sponge if they seem really dirty. Cork will last the longest if you keep them dry as much as possible.
Why are cork placemats expensive?
Cork’s unique texture and eco-friendliness comes at a cost. While it isn’t the most expensive option, it is more expensive than vinyl and other materials for sure.
Cork trees grow mainly in Portugal and Spain so importing from one of those countries causes unique challenges. Importing cork from these countries is more expensive than importing products from China.
If solid cork placemats are too expensive you can find “printed” pictures of cork on the top with cork on the backing. They are more perfectly made but do not compare to the real thing
4 Fascinating Cork facts: More reasons why cork is expensive.
These 6 reasons cork is the best material for placemats is crystal clear.
- Cork trees are harvested every 9 years and aren’t cut down or damaged during the process. It is remarkable that the trees live for roughly 270 years!!! This is why cork is the most eco-friendly and sustainable material for placemats.
- To cut down a cork tree you actually need a permit from the Portuguese Ministry of Agriculture. It’s illegal to cut a cork tree down without one.
- No machines are involved in the production process. Cork strippers (tiradors) work together in pairs using handheld axes, one person on the ground and one in the tree. They make cuts at the top and bottom of the trunk and peel the cork off.
- The tiradors are the highest-paid jobs in the agricultural industry worldwide. The wages are also fixed rather than being based on them collecting a certain amount of cork, and they receive health care and other benefits as well.
These 6 reasons cork is the best material for placemats are very clear to understand.
If you like natural products you might like our handmade dustpan brush Best Bench Brush-Quality in Design and Craftsmanship
How to clean our cork placemat or coaster
If you take care of your cork placemats they will last for years. Comparing all natural placemats cork is the easiest to keep clean.
- Remember not to immerse them in water.
- Do not bend them. 100% cork is soft and can not bend. Do not shake them because you could bend them and damage the cork. Turn them on their side and tap off the crumbs.
- When you receive them wipe them down with a damp cloth and let them dry. Cork is a live tree and when manufactured and cut to size some bark gets on the placemats.
- If you spill something on them you can spot clean with soap and water. If you clean them up quickly nothing will stain.
Do I need to seal my cork placemats?
I do not recommend sealing cork placemats because that will take the organic nature away. The water based polyurethane sealants are important for floorings because they get harder use. None of the sealants are organic so I would not want it near my food.